Pages

Saturday, August 1, 2015

My Fitness Journey

My life and FITNESS, I was never the thin teenager or the jock. Honestly I went through so much at such a young and I internalized it like the best, or the worst. That's another post for another time.

When I was in elementary school I was a very thin child but by the time I graduated high school I was well over 250lbs. At only 5'3.25", trust me that quarter counts (short girls understand), its a lot on this body. Hard to believe if you met me now.
 
(2007)

One year in to my marriage, 2008, I decided to take back control of my health.

Side story: My mom Kriselise had breast cancer. During her battle she would say, "I wonder what it would be like to run again, I wonder if I'll be running in heaven". My mom was my WHY. Why I started running. I ran for her because at the end of her life she could not. Every race I have done has and is in her memory.

It was slow going at best but I had a goal of running in races someday. I started walking blocks. That turned in to running a block at a time.

Over the course of 3 years I slowly worked my way to being able to run my first 5k, a Turkey Trot. With my husband, brother, and sister in-law. Seriously the hardest run of my life but maybe that is how most view their first run. All I kept thinking was just keep moving. Who cares if your lunges feel like they are fire, just keep going. I felt a little bit like Dori, "just keep swimming, swimming, swimming". The best thing though, I made it to the finish line ALIVE. My husband, brother, and sister inlaw all finished before me but my hubs had turned around and found me heading towards the finish. He cheered me on. Gah, it makes me tear up thinking about it. But when you work so hard for something to finally have it happen, tears are acceptable.

(First race 2011 Turkey Trot)

Just saying, I'm totally that runner that cries at the end not because my body hurts. Which it does. I cry because its another goal achieved. Well I kept running and started doing Beachbody workouts at home, Insanity, Les Mills Combat, and 21 Day Fix are my favorites so far. I kept making new goals, using races as my motivation.
(First Great Aloha Race)

Since my first 5k I have completed 13 races; 2 Warrior Dashes, 1 Spartan, 2 Great Aloha races, 1 Ford Island run, 1 4th of July race, 1 Mango Run, 1 Turkey Trot, 1 Color run, 1 Color Vibe, 1 Glow Run, and 1 Jingle Rock race.

The best thing about all these goals achieved is that I did them with friends and family. Every single one I ran was with either a family member or a friend. They are some of the best memories I have.



Living a life of fitness has given me so much. Besides better health it has given me confidence, strength, courage to do something new, step out of my comfort zone, create memories, and make new friends.

I would not trade it for the world. Now that I am postpartum I get to create new memories and hopefully make new friends during my journey to being the healthiest momma I can be.

I am doing this for my mom, for my family, and for me because I can.

~Adrien

P.s. If you are wondering, my ultimate goal is to complete a Tough Mudder Race. Don't know what that is check out this link www.toughmudder.com. Yes, I'm a bit crazy ;).

4 comments:

  1. I still cannot believe I did that Warrior Dash with the full-blown flu! "I'm sexy & I know it...wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle - yeah!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heck I stilt can't I believe I finished it with the crap I had going on but we did and it was so much fun!

      Delete